<  Technical  ~  Hewland LD200 ratio swap

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:38 pm
So I discovered at Golspie today that the ratio’s currently fitted are too long.
And if they are long here then will be far too long at Boyndie!

So I’m going to attempt to open up the box and change them myself. I knew there would come a time then I’d have to and here we are!!

Before I do this though, does anybody have any advice or better yet can show me in person?
I did have a chat with Vince Banks and John Plenderleath about it last year and I’ve read some info online but need to do it in practise and I’m feart of dropping all the cogs onto the garage floor!

I’m pretty sure I have a dummy shaft.

Any comments or tips etc welcome.

I’m in Aberdeen.

Graeme

also any good suggestions for small storage box(es) to carry ratios and spare bits snugly in the trailer?
I got a small box from Homebase and the compartments are adjustable but too small.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:20 pm
User avatarPosts: 1220Location: BroxburnJoined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:45 pm
Maplins are currently closing down and proper aluminium boxes are being sold off cheap in our local one :)

YouTube: MatraEtAlpine

'Ring: Visit and ride
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:15 am
Hi, are you changing all the ratios ? I've done many gearboxes but not the Hewland, it looks reasonably straightforward by looking at the manual, if you want any help let me know.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:41 am
User avatarPosts: 927Location: AberdeenJoined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:22 pm
CTB as you are in Aberdeen, you should contact stilt on this forum as he is a bit of an expert. May be I covered myself by qualifying "expert".

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:34 am
Thanks guys.

Am struggling for time now so just going to go with the ratios for now.
At least for Golspie.
Will see if I can get it sorted for Boyndie though and will certainly be in touch.
Not sure which ratios to fit, but there are sheets I can use to try and work this out.
Of course it also depends what ratio’s are currently fitted and I have a rough idea maybe but we won’t know for definite until we open her up!!

Anyways thanks and I will be in touch soon.
Or maybe see some of you at Golspie, if I’m ready....

Grsemr

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:59 pm
User avatarPosts: 927Location: AberdeenJoined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:22 pm
Sorry about my typo "STIGLET" not stilt. It is apparently an easy job ,one for the lunch interval, so there is time...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:38 pm
Ahh, as in HUGO STIGLETS! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do believe it is an easy job but have also heard about bits done wrong that can lead to the contents of your box all over the garage floor!! or worse damage to the box itself!

Will be good to see others doing it and pick up some tips before I attempt it myself.
I might take my ratios to either Golspie or Boyndie in case the opportunity arises during lunchtime :shock:

Cheers for the input 'thumbsup smiley'

GC

Offline Profile