Author Message

<  Newcomers  ~  Hi, newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:28 am
Posts: 10Location: Central ScotlandJoined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 pm
Hi all; I have been a petrol head since my first trials bike at 13yr, from there onto motocross, then a series of mk1 RS, 1600 sports ect before finding fast jap metal. For the last 6yr I have been faffing with trucks and offroading.

I have built a few and enjoy the building nearly as much as the playing.



Anyway, now into my forties {ouch} I have the urge to try something new. I have been toying with the idea for sometime and decided that next season 2011, I will take the plunge.



What would you suggest as a starter car/class. I don't mind using a trailer or a road legal car. My budget will be around 4 to 5k, delighted if I can have cheaper fun thou. I will do all work on the car myself if regs allow.



I am just looking for more fun and banter in a new to me form of motorsport.



All input and advice greatly appreciated.



Thanks Brian


Last edited by mck on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:24 am
User avatarCuddlesome ChapPosts: 794Location: Muchalls/LuandaJoined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:57 am
Welcome.



I started hillclimbing/sprinting at 50, having raced bikes many years before.



There are a number of classes you could get into with that budget, in fact 'realmenhavepinkphones' might have just the thing in the for sale section.

A kit car could be bought for that budget too, though probably less competitive.



Whatever you get I hope you enjoy and hope to see you out next year.



Murray



_________________
If at first you don't succeed, revise your targets.
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:39 am
User avatarBroken BlokePosts: 3524Location: Old AberdeenJoined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:39 pm
Welcome. :)



This looked interesting :mrgreen: ... and it's fairly local to you.



Cheers,



Eric :)



_________________
-------------------------------------
•°``°•,¸¸,•°``°•,¸¸,•°``°•,¸¸,•
"Most folks are about as happy as
they make up their minds to be.
"

Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:30 am
User avatarPosts: 311Location: MorayJoined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:04 pm

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:00 pm
Posts: 10Location: Central ScotlandJoined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 pm
Thaks for the welcome lads, I like the look of that Fury.

I will need to read up on class and rules to narrow my search.

I say l am looking for fun, however, I know that once I learn the hills/tracks I will be busting to get up/round as quick as possible.



Should I maybe consider a car capable of more than me and temper my right foot, so that as I improve the car can stay a step ahead?



I love the idea/sound of a bike engined car, having had a number of sports bikes in my 20s and early 30s {wife made me sell when kids came along :( }



I will join a local club and get along to the season openers and pester you guy's before jumping in. I am between Stirling and Falkirk what club should I join?



Brian


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:19 pm
User avatarPosts: 446Location: AberdeenJoined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:46 am
Welcome, as you live between Stirling and Falkirk I would suggest that you join Monklands car club who organose and run the Forrestburn hillclimbs.

Some of the regular guys on here are members of that club and am certain would make you very welcome.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:59 pm
User avatarPosts: 230Location: LochgilpheadJoined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:39 pm
Hi, I would recommend Monklands, I started this year, and joined MSCC, I live on the West coast. Track nights at Knockhill are useful to get to know a new car. Fundays(non competitive) are run at Forrestburn, again useful.



Don't forget there's the Charity Event at Kames (MuirKirk - East Ayrshire) 13th Nov if you want to see an event, and meet a few people.

I think there will be demo runs for paying Passengers available


Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:26 pm
User avatarPosts: 615Location: AberdeenJoined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:47 pm
mck wrote:
Hi all; I have been a petrol head since my first trials bike at 13yr, from there onto motocross, then a series of mk1 RS, 1600 sports ect before finding fast jap metal. For the last 6yr I have been faffing with trucks and offroading.

I have built a few and enjoy the building nearly as much as the playing.



Anyway, now into my forties {ouch} I have the urge to try something new. I have been toying with the idea for sometime and decided that next season 2011, I will take the plunge.



What would you suggest as a starter car/class. I don't mind using a trailer or a road legal car. My budget will be around 4 to 5k, delighted if I can have cheaper fun thou. I will do all work on the car myself if regs allow.



I am just looking for more fun and banter in a new to me form of motorsport.



All input and advice greatly appreciated.



Thanks Brian


Hi Brian

I'm selling my Toyota Corolla AE92 that I have used for the past 2 years in class A2 Road cars at the hillclimbs and sprints winning the class last year. The class has great banter and close racing. The car is on Flatchat if you want to have a look. I would quite happily take 3K for everything as the young daughter who competes with me is looking for a new challenge. The engine is std therefore the rest of your budget could be spent on building a really quick engine which basically is all it needs to make it really competitive. Contact me anyway for a chat.

Trevor



_________________
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of lowest price is forgotten
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 10Location: Central ScotlandJoined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 pm
Trevor, thanks your car sounds ideal, however, I am awaiting planning permission for a detached double garage and hope to have moved out my wee single early in the new year.

I also have a couple of trucks to sell to clear my feet {keep wife happy} before I buy. My drive looks like this at the min, you can see her point :roll: Her little micra just squeezes in.



Image



If a saloon has the interior removed and a cage fitted does it change the class or is it simple on engine size and model i.e /saloon/kit/sport/race



Sorry for so many question, I have had a look at clas lists and a look in MSA year book which I get as my current offroad club is MSA registered, but I am still confused a little.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:38 pm
User avatarPosts: 950Location: EnglandshireJoined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:00 pm
The MSA "Blue Book" is available online



Prepare to be baffled... :D



_________________
Radicalless
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:45 pm
Posts: 10Location: Central ScotlandJoined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 pm
SportsLibre wrote:
The MSA "Blue Book" is available online



Prepare to be baffled... :D




Perfect thanks.


Last edited by mck on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:39 pm
User avatarPosts: 182Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:54 am
Welcome to the forum, any more information on that crazy looking green thing on your drive? :twisted:



_________________
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 pm
Posts: 10Location: Central ScotlandJoined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 pm
davidanderson wrote:
Welcome to the forum, any more information on that crazy looking green thing on your drive? :twisted:




Build thread here mate, this site can be seen without registration.



http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60219


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:44 pm
User avatarPosts: 416Location: LothiansJoined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:11 am
Some very useful tow cars on your drive...... :wink:



That fisher fury did look nice - I always had a soft spot for them.



Trevor's Corolla is a good 'un and the 4AGE engine has a lot going for it (I used to have a Mk1 MR2). Since you've had some jap stuff before, you might want to consider an Evo or Scooby?



You should try and get down to Kames on 13 November - you'll see an array of different cars, get a chance to talk to drivers and do some early research well in advance of next season.



Study the blue book and championship regs carefully and have some fun choosing your weapon......

:lol:



_________________
blogspot.racingfive.com
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:25 pm
Posts: 10Location: Central ScotlandJoined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 pm
RacingFive wrote:
Some very useful tow cars on your drive...... :wink:



That fisher fury did look nice - I always had a soft spot for them.



Trevor's Corolla is a good 'un and the 4AGE engine has a lot going for it (I used to have a Mk1 MR2). Since you've had some jap stuff before, you might want to consider an Evo or Scooby?



You should try and get down to Kames on 13 November - you'll see an array of different cars, get a chance to talk to drivers and do some early research well in advance of next season.



Study the blue book and championship regs carefully and have some fun choosing your weapon......

:lol:




Sounds like a plan, I will take a run down to the event on the 13th.

Thanks Brian


Offline Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC [ DST ]
Page 1 of 2
20 posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
Search for:
Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
cron