<  Newcomers  ~  Hello Im new and have many Qs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:58 pm
Hi all, I am now not far away in completing my 4 year nova build and I?m looking to enter a few sprints this year. I need to know what class id best enter in and if I need anything else fitted before the first race.

The car is a Vauxhall Nova 1.6 8v with minor engine mods. It has a cage, buckets, 4pt harness stripped out rear seats and uprated suspension. You can see my build thread here http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread ... v-itb-nova

I would like to know what else i require as my knowledge of getting started is very limited. I know i need boots, coveralls, helmet but need pointed in the right direction.

As I say, I have nothing but a car about a day?s work away from an mot and need some help for what I need to enter this year.

Thanks

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:46 am
User avatarPosts: 446Location: AberdeenJoined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:46 am
There are few guys in the Alford area who compete in sprints and hillclimbs who I'm sure could help you. Scott Beattie, Craig Muirden and Dave Adams to name 3. I'm sure one or all of them would help you if you contact them. They all post on here from time to time so they may see your topic.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:59 am
User avatarPosts: 458Location: DunfermlineJoined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:35 pm
Stunning build :D

I presume that you will be running in Class A2 (Road Saloon Cars over 1400cc up to 2000cc).

So long as you are running in that class in a fully road legal condition then you are not required to have too many safety features - but highly recommended!

I did notice that your roll cage front legs appear to have the 'double bend' in the lower section. As your cage is not a mandatory requirement for that class (A2) then you should be OK (If you were in a modified class or saloon sports libre then you would probably have to alter that.)

Hamblin Cadet Austin Seven Special
Jeffrey Mk111b Historic 750
Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:52 am
Just a word of caution. I see you have stripped out the rear seats. Roadgoing cars must have:

11.4.6. Interior trim must remain fitted (except floor

carpets/mats)

11.4.7. All working equipment fitted as standard (heater,

window mechanisms, sunroof, door handles) must

remain operable at all times.

These are the paragraphs from the MSA Year Book 2013 (The Blue Book)

The regs for Sprints are at http://tinyurl.com/ad5rh9m

Hopefully someone local to you can guide you through the MSA maze. However keep asking questions.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:55 pm
I know dave, scott and craig and have answered the questions i had in the past. I have been advised to ask on here regarding the class i can enter.

I had a read of the regulations and blue book last night and recon i would be able to enter the A2 class. I have all the trim fitted and all the heaters and lights ect work but i do not have rear seats. would i be correct that you can tie down the rear seats in the back and dont actually need to be fitted inplace?

Every thing else seems to comply with the blue book. However on s10.6.1 it states that there must be an ignition cut off switch and fuel pump isolation system. I take it if you have an ignition key for ignition cut off. when the ecu powers the fuel pump through a relay and the ecu is powered from the switched live from the ignition key, the ignition key isolates the fuel pump. would this suffice?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:20 pm
User avatarPosts: 950Location: EnglandshireJoined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:00 pm
therealnovaboy wrote:
Every thing else seems to comply with the blue book. However on s10.6.1 it states that there must be an ignition cut off switch and fuel pump isolation system. I take it if you have an ignition key for ignition cut off. when the ecu powers the fuel pump through a relay and the ecu is powered from the switched live from the ignition key, the ignition key isolates the fuel pump. would this suffice?

Yes, all a road legal car needs is the ignition key/switch correctly labelled "OFF".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:00 am
Posts: 386Location: AberdeenJoined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:04 am
Nice build - well done and I love the Barn dyno!!!!