<  Newcomers  ~  Newbie alert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:58 pm
Hi all, I am keen to do hillclimb and speed events next season, but like a few others I have read about on here the class my car will be in is puzzling me a bit. I've tried reading the blue book sections on classes but its making my head hurt to be honest!
My car is a 79 Austin mini, rwd with a blackbird motor mid-ish mounted (behind the seat and in front of the rear wheels)
Full cage which also takes in the rear frame for motor and extends into front end and tubular subframe in there as well.
Its all made from cds tube.

Any advice or help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Dave

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:09 pm
Posts: 102Location: AngusJoined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:21 pm
With the engine swap you will be in C1 with the sports libre cars. Radicals etc etc.
Dont be put off though as theres a spaceframe Imp with a blackbird motor and ill hopefully have our spaceframe mini with a R1 motor out in C1 also.

Could be awsome fun! 8)

Rory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:33 pm
Thanks for that, it would be great if there was other similar cars in the class. Was reading somewhere else that cages need to have relevant stickers/ certificates. The mini spaceframe is obviously made by me in the workshop so how does that work?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:49 pm
Is your car a full space frame or similar to the z cars stuff?
But from what I gather you don't require any certs or stickers, it only has to conform to the blue book for sizes and materials etc etc

Rory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:09 pm
I suppose its similar to z cars - started off with a full cage and it developed on from there with all the other framework. What are the required sizes? And are these just for the main bars?
I'm pretty sure it'll be as strong and stiff as anything else out there but dont want to go right down the hillclimb route and then be told its not made from the right stuff!
Is your mini a full space frame and if so what size material did you use?
Cheers Dave

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:51 pm
User avatarPosts: 1809Location: InverebrieJoined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:56 pm
Your car will undoubtedly end up in C1. That said, the best advice is to find an MSA scrutineer near you who can examine the car in detail, tell you what you might need to change/add, and help get an MSA Competition Car Log Book. Once you have that, getting the car through scrutineering at events will be a breeze.

C1 is looking a lot more interesting for 2014 - currently no Radicals but a couple of sumo wrestlers in a Ginetta G22 and an ADR2...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:16 pm
Cheers for that guys, does anyone know of a scrutineer in borders area, or are they listed somewhere ?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:19 pm
User avatarPosts: 257Location: Menstrie ClackmannanshireJoined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:28 pm
Scrutes are listed in the Blue Book.

The Scottish ones are all positive friendly people who love cars as much as the competitors.

D.A.D.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:00 pm
We bought our old mini a while back and are rebuilding it over a great period of time!
As for sizing a Mini will get away with a 38mm roll hoop and the rest of the cage structure being the same size.
Somebody may come on and correct me but thats my thinking on it.

Rory

Daveyp wrote:
I suppose its similar to z cars - started off with a full cage and it developed on from there with all the other framework. What are the required sizes? And are these just for the main bars?
I'm pretty sure it'll be as strong and stiff as anything else out there but dont want to go right down the hillclimb route and then be told its not made from the right stuff!
Is your mini a full space frame and if so what size material did you use?
Cheers Dave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:06 pm
User avatarPosts: 446Location: AberdeenJoined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:46 am
Rob McKinna the eligibilty scrutineer for Scotland lives in West Linton in the borders. He is a very helpfull chap. His details are in the Blue Book.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:15 pm
User avatarBroken BlokePosts: 3524Location: Old AberdeenJoined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:39 pm
Luggit wrote:
Rob McKinna the eligibilty scrutineer for Scotland lives in West Linton in the borders. He is a very helpfull chap. His details are in the Blue Book.

Snipped from the BB ...

they make up their minds to be.
"

Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:39 pm
User avatarPosts: 1809Location: InverebrieJoined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:56 pm
Keep in mind that Robbie has been rather ill recently...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:14 pm
Posts: 57Location: Central beltJoined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:08 am
I bumped into Rob a week or two ago and he was looking well and looking forward to coming back in 2014!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:47 pm
User avatarPosts: 477Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:46 pm
Thanks Peter for the good news on Rob McKinna.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:23 am
User avatarPosts: 233Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:11 am
Great news re Rob 8)

Also to add, there may be another spaceframe 'Mini' contraption to add to C1 and Team NBRs artillery for 2014. Radicals? Who needs em? heh heh ;)

Offline Profile