<  Newcomers  ~  4 or 6 point harness in B2 modified?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:34 pm
My mate and I did our first hill climb at Forrestburn last weekend in our Peugeot 106 gti and we got pulled up on a couple of minor points by the scrutineer. Fair enough we'll get them sorted.

But we were also told that we needed a 6 point harness and not the 4 point harness currently fitted in the car. On speaking to the other guys in our class it became clear that all of them were using 4 point harnesses.

So I'm a bit confused now. Can someone clarify what harness we should be using?

Thanks,
Malcolm

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:31 am
User avatarPosts: 1809Location: InverebrieJoined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:56 pm
If that is what you were told, then it is completely wrong. Section S of the Blue Book requires as a minimum a 4 point harness for modified cars, and a 5 point harness for sports libre and racing cars.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:56 pm
Thanks for that - I thought I was missing something somewhere. :?

So what happens now? The scrutineer suggested we start an MSA log book for the car (which we did) and that the points he raised would be noted in it and we would have to correct them before our next outing which will be Doune next month. Do we just leave it and hope that the scrutineer at Doune will realise the error and let us run?

Malcolm

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:32 pm
For modified, the log book is not a suggestion - you have to have one unless the car is road legal (I think).

Out of interest, who was the scrutineer? (you can PM me if you like, rather than name in public)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:47 am
User avatarPosts: 915Location: AberdeenJoined: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:16 pm
David is correct - Log-Book is not mandatory unless you have no MOT.
I have run 4 or 5 seasons in the same class with a 4 point harness with no questions asked.
Sounds like an error from the scrutineer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:10 am
Malky225 wrote:
Thanks for that - I thought I was missing something somewhere. :?

So what happens now? The scrutineer suggested we start an MSA log book for the car (which we did) and that the points he raised would be noted in it and we would have to correct them before our next outing which will be Doune next month. Do we just leave it and hope that the scrutineer at Doune will realise the error and let us run?

Malcolm

What other points did he note?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:09 pm
g4addicted wrote:
For modified, the log book is not a suggestion - you have to have one unless the car is road legal (I think).

We still had a couple of days of MOT left and the car was road legal at the time (taxed and insured). We will probably still MOT the car in the future - it's handier for us that way.

g4addicted wrote:
Out of interest, who was the scrutineer?

PM'ed

The other points raised were a proper battery box and replace 2 missing covers on top of the fuel tank with aluminium instead of the tank tape we were using. Other than that he was happy with the car.

Malcolm

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:24 pm
Where the battery is located determines whether or not you need to put in it a battery box - what the regs say are:

5.14.1. Have any wet batteries in driver/passenger compartment enclosed in a securely located leak-proof
container.

Now, while Demon Thieves and others sell wonderful boxes for batteries (I have one myself), provided your box meets both criteria (i.e. securely located and leakproof, it should be OK. That said, if you are using a gel battery (i.e. not a wet battery), then all you need is a bracket and no box...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:41 pm
Thanks for info.

Yes, battery is in with us and the Heath Robinson box we were using wasn't really leakproof. We were allowed to compete last weekend as we covered it with a plastic bag and copious layers of tank tape.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:51 pm
User avatarPosts: 950Location: EnglandshireJoined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:00 pm
Just remember, to compete without an MSA log book it must not just be road legal with MOT and road insurance but also compete in a road legal condition, e.g. tyres, etc.
The main advantage of getting it log booked is being able to run slicks and of course saving the cost of MOT and insurance and the extra weight saving of no lights and the rest.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:44 pm
If you want to get in touch, about Scrutineering PM me. I'm Chief Scrutineer at Knockhill and occasionally make Doune if no clashes. My email and numbers in the Blue Book also.
No Log Book if fully road legal. Harness Regs may be changing for Libre next year, but we've not yet had it confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSA Scrutineer

Any comments are my own and should not be taken as comment from the MSA
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:02 pm
Scottish Scrutineer wrote:
If you want to get in touch, about Scrutineering PM me. I'm Chief Scrutineer at Knockhill and occasionally make Doune if no clashes. My email and numbers in the Blue Book also.
No Log Book if fully road legal. Harness Regs may be changing for Libre next year, but we've not yet had it confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is rule out for consultation that makes an FIA 5-point harness (K2.1.3) mandatory in Sports Libre, Hillclimb Supersports and Racing Cars. It is poorly worded (like a lot of the Blue Book), and would appear to make a 6-point harness illegal, which is clearly quite stupid...

If it is approved, currently the implementation date is set as January 2016. If you want to read it, go to http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/newsartic ... 6&nid=1647 where the MSA publishes proposded rule changes for us to comment on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:03 am
User avatarPosts: 477Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:46 pm
David, is implementation date (if approved) not set as 1/1/ 2015, not 2016?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:03 am
mark two wrote:
David, is implementation date (if approved) not set as 1/1/ 2015, not 2016?

According to the pdf file on the MSA site, it is 1/1/2016. It is the change to the rule about wearing helmets etc that is cited for 2015.