<  Newcomers  ~  Better Introduce Myself

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:42 pm
Been browsing this forum as a guest and few months ago signed up as a member but as you'll notice, I was yet to introduce myself.

Been following sprinting / hillclimbs for a while and was planning taking part last year as a feeler in my road car, but never did get round to it. Since then, Iv sold it and got a Ph1 172 Clio to focus on preparing for use in A2

Also, I was planning entering in the Highland Speed Chamionship as I only plan on attending local events to get myself started, and then maybe travel further afield. Is it just a case of printing off and submitting an entry form from their website? Along with joining a car club again this year to enable me to compete? I have my Nat B non race from last year, will obviously be renewing it

as usual, I have a few newbie questions as Iv been studying the blue book, albet the 2014 version as Iv yet to renew my licence for 2015 or print off a pdf version of the 15 book to read up on

So here goes, if anyone could shed some light on these questions!

Tyres : Are list 1b tyres also permitted in A2?

Fire Extinguishers : These arent mandatory are they?

Harness's : From reading the blue book, the vertical straps cant be mounted directly to the floor? So its either wait till full cage or purchase a harness bar.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:57 pm
User avatarPosts: 954Location: PaisleyJoined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:57 pm
Welcome,

"I was planning entering in the Highland Speed Chamionship as I only plan on attending local events to get myself started, and then maybe travel further afield. Is it just a case of printing off and submitting an entry form from their website?"
YES, (and paying the fee!) when/if the 2015 regs are out

"Tyres : Are list 1b tyres also permitted in A2?"
YES

"Fire Extinguishers : These arent mandatory are they?"
NO, not required

"Harness's : From reading the blue book, the vertical straps cant be mounted directly to the floor? So its either wait till full cage or purchase a harness bar."
You can usually get away with bolting the shoulder straps to the rear seat belt lower anchor points and the waist straps to the front seat belt mounting bolts

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:55 pm
Mert wrote:
Harness's : From reading the blue book, the vertical straps cant be mounted directly to the floor? So its either wait till full cage or purchase a harness bar.

When I had my Clio 182 (also in A2), I just used the rear seatbelt mounting points for the harness. In fact I've still got the harness I used if it's of any interest, it's a Schroth clip-in harness, so you just need to replace the seat belt mounting bolts with eye bolts (may still have them as well, seem to recall they were an odd size).

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:15 am
Thanks for answering that points.

Digital : Id be interested in the harness as its still on my to do list, was putting off fitting the seats until I knew exactly how and where I was going to mount the harness. Had read that it was common to use the rear seatbelt mounts for the shoulder straps, and then use a schroth eyelet tab for one side of the lap belt and possibly need a strengthening plate and eye bolt welded to the other side for the 2nd lap belt. The harness bar is a fair price, and tbh its money that could be put towards a cage when the time comes for one

Offline Profile