<  Newcomers  ~  Hillclimb newb looking for a bit of advice.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:01 pm
Posts: 15Location: N LanarkshireJoined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:07 am
Hi there, just found this site as I've been looking into starting hillclimbs and sprints. Please forgive my total lack of knowledge.
I've done a couple of track days in my E28 but other than that have no experience at all.
I've been offered a Clio mk2 for virtually no money at all and wondered if you could be honest with me;

I'm not going to break any records but just looking to have fun.
Can a standard saloon be lightened to give a humble 1.6 hatchback with 110hp reasonable performance or would removing back seats/unessential parts make it no longer a road car?
Do I need a race suit etc if driving a road car?
Will my track day helmet be ok or do I need a new one?
Do I need to use particular brand of tyre?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:35 pm
User avatarPosts: 954Location: PaisleyJoined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:57 pm
Can a standard saloon be lightened to give a humble 1.6 hatchback with 110hp reasonable performance or would removing back seats/unessential parts make it no longer a road car? There is not much you can remove or lighten and stay within the road car regs
Do I need a race suit etc if driving a road car? Yes
Will my track day helmet be ok or do I need a new one? Your helmet needs to be a certain spec
Do I need to use particular brand of tyre? No, but it must be on the "list"

More info here, here and here.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:55 pm
User avatarPosts: 1220Location: BroxburnJoined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:45 pm
Removing back seats will remove you from A2 road going class sadly. Same with all the visible trim.

So you're right to ask and check :)

You'll have lots of fun learning the tracks and pushing your own times in a standard car.
Many start out there.
I still run my car in as-from-factory as it is also my daily driver.

You'll need racesuit, helmet and gloves to the specs in the Blue Book. Sorry cant remember the various numbers off top of head.

Tyres only permitted ones specifically listed on "List 1a" or "List 1b" of the Blue Book.
https://www.msauk.org/assets/bluebook20 ... ow-res.pdf P198

Plenty of Clio owners , some "modified" but within the regulations to stay in A2 and some untouched. So plenty to learn from competitors in the paddock. Sprints and hills are traditionally one of the friendliest paddocks and everyone will muck in to help :)

YouTube: MatraEtAlpine

'Ring: Visit and ride
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:59 pm
That's great, apreciate you both taking the time to reply. Thanks very much also for the links, lots of good information there.
I'm not sure a standard 1.6 Clio will be quick enough to have 'fun', I haven't even driven the car. Had hoped a bit of lightening would improve the power/weight ratio a bit.
I'll check what it says on the helmet to see if that's suitable.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:55 pm
User avatarPosts: 257Location: Menstrie ClackmannanshireJoined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:28 pm
For the first few visits to any track the car power/speed is not really at all important. To begin with your times will come down rapidly as you learn how to drive the tracks and power/speed only really get important when the times cease to improve.

It is a strange sport, every 1/10 of a second you loose by breaking early or taking the wrong line can never be recovered on that run no matter how much power you have so enjoy what you have to play in and only worry about something faster next year.

Oh and someone will always be slower than you ---- quite often me but hey I still smile a lot.

D.A.D.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:27 pm
D.A.D. wrote:
For the first few visits to any track the car power/speed is not really at all important. To begin with your times will come down rapidly as you learn how to drive the tracks and power/speed only really get important when the times cease to improve.

It is a strange sport, every 1/10 of a second you loose by breaking early or taking the wrong line can never be recovered on that run no matter how much power you have so enjoy what you have to play in and only worry about something faster next year.

Oh and someone will always be slower than you ---- quite often me but hey I still smile a lot.

D.A.D.

Hehe that's great advice, thanks very much. I don't need a lot of encouragement but that's helped.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:02 am
User avatarPosts: 129Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:06 am
I started out in an Alfa 155 saloon. Totally unsuited for sprints and hills but had great fun. I then went for a 1.7 ford Puma not as powerful as some of the cars in class but with slow developement the car was getting closer to them while also still having fun.

As others have said the main thing is to have fun and learn the tracks then you can start to develope the car or change it for something faster.

Kit wise the blue book tells you all you need to know and will also tell you what you can or cant do to the car.

So came along and have some fun, just watch out for the guy in the RX-8 he is a bit strange... :lol:

www.youtube.com/user/Chickenshedracing
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:47 am
155 wrote:
I started out in an Alfa 155 saloon. Totally unsuited for sprints and hills but had great fun. I then went for a 1.7 ford Puma not as powerful as some of the cars in class but with slow developement the car was getting closer to them while also still having fun.

As others have said the main thing is to have fun and learn the tracks then you can start to develope the car or change it for something faster.

Kit wise the blue book tells you all you need to know and will also tell you what you can or cant do to the car.

So came along and have some fun, just watch out for the guy in the RX-8 he is a bit strange... :lol:

That's great, thanks for your reply :)
Having watched a couple of in car videos of fast runs at Doune I'm not sure I want something particularly fast now :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:23 am
User avatarPosts: 257Location: Menstrie ClackmannanshireJoined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:28 pm
Yes Doune is scary !!!!! BUT exciting.

The Sprint Test Day at Kames later this moth might be a better starting point

https://webcollect.org.uk/eacc/event/members-test-day

Even if you are not ready to enter coma along for a chat and see how it all works.

D.A.D.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:41 pm
User avatarPosts: 395Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:18 pm
You didn't ask these as part of your questions, but thought it might be helpful to point out the following:
You need to join a car club (MSA affiliated) and you also need a MSA competition licence suitable for speed events.
Kind of fundamental stuff and I apologise if you are already aware.
Certainly going along to the test days is a great first step.
Have fun.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:59 pm
D.A.D. wrote:
Yes Doune is scary !!!!! BUT exciting.

The Sprint Test Day at Kames later this moth might be a better starting point

https://webcollect.org.uk/eacc/event/members-test-day

Even if you are not ready to enter coma along for a chat and see how it all works.

D.A.D.

That would be great, I'm working that weekend but will see if I can change my days. Would be a good starting point.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:01 pm
aficionado wrote:
You didn't ask these as part of your questions, but thought it might be helpful to point out the following:
You need to join a car club (MSA affiliated) and you also need a MSA competition licence suitable for speed events.
Kind of fundamental stuff and I apologise if you are already aware.
Certainly going along to the test days is a great first step.
Have fun.

Yes, thanks I've just joined Lothian car club. Haven't looked at license but I'll have a look this evening.