<  Newcomers  ~  MX5 Newcomer 2018

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:42 pm
Hi All
Just bought an MX5 NBFL Sport to enter the Scotish Sprint and Hillclimb rounds in 2018, so any advice would be great, I have read the blue book rules and joined the register, one question is what bucket seat would be best for my oversize bum, and if you have roll bars what make, I have looked at TR Lane but think G C Fabrications look better, also I have decided on either Maxxsport or Nankang so what are people using?

Any tips would be great as I have road raced bikes and had a blast at autograss but a total newby on tarmac

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:36 pm
User avatarPosts: 257Location: Menstrie ClackmannanshireJoined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:28 pm
Welcome

I am not an MX5 driver just an old git with a nearly as Old Fiesta BUT the best advice is come along to one of the last three or four rounds this year and talk to the current MX5 guys. They are a good bunch and are willing to share any brains they may have left.

Rounds still to do at Kames, Golspie, Doune and Boyndie this year --- dates in events at top of main page.

Chatting to them at an event is the best way forward and often you will find someone selling just what you need for ridiculously small amounts of cash.

There is a test day at Kames this Sunday, not sure if any of the MX5 boys have entered BUT it might be a chance for you to have an early practice outing with no pressure :-)

Cheers

D.A.D.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:40 pm
User avatarPosts: 1220Location: BroxburnJoined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:45 pm
There are some things to consider.

Which champsionship you plan to run in being one ...

In SSHC, the MX5 runs in A8 and you can change intake, suspension, tyres etc only limited by the MSA Blue Book.
These cars run in A8 for SSHC against current range of cars in 2017 consistening of Toyota MR2 , Lotus 211 , MG ZF and Honda S2000.

In Lowland and Highland Championships there is an A9 class which is ONLY for MX5s and LIMITS the models and modifications tighter than the A8 to reduce costs and improve competition. For details it's best to chat to the folks in the Eunos Ecosse MX5 Register at http://www.scotmx5hillsprintreg.co.uk/
Some will respond on here or on facebook soon I expect :)

As Mike said, getting along to any of the events is a good start as they will guide and happily discuss the pros and cons of the options and offer good advice for things like seats, belts, cage, coil overs etc.

WELCOME :)

YouTube: MatraEtAlpine

'Ring: Visit and ride
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:40 am
Thanks to d,A,D and metA for your input, I have registered and joined the eunos eccosse club and think my local club will be Grampian so will join them next year. I never knew the other championship ran A8 so thats more regs to read up on, but I did plan on building mine to A9 and enter some of the rounds of the Highlands and Lowlands Championships.

If memory serves me well for once :D I think Forrestburn runs this weekend so will try and pop down for a chat and see what tyres the mx5 boys and girls use

Thanks for the info/advice
Cheers
Geoff

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:22 am
User avatarPosts: 446Location: AberdeenJoined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:46 am
Hi and welcome. I see you say Grampian is likely to be your chosen club. As chairman of the club I would like to say that if there is anything we can help you with please do not hesitate to contact us. Our contact details are on our website. If you wish you can join the club now and this will carry through to the end of 2018. There is a link on here to our club.

Welcome again.

Lovat

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:48 pm
Hi Lovat
Thanks for the info, I held off joining as I thought it would end at the end of 2017 but now you have updated me I will sign up, look forward to meeting you all
Cheers
Geoff

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:22 pm
User avatarPosts: 1220Location: BroxburnJoined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:45 pm
Yep Forrestburn this weekend Geoff.
Plenty of the A9 cars there.
A car eligible for A9 is eligible for A8. ( But not necessarily the other way round :) )

The MX5 folks will look after you :) Come see the rest of us unwashed ones if you fancy a chat :)

YouTube: MatraEtAlpine

'Ring: Visit and ride
Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:02 am
Hi Meta,
I will be popping down in a bit so will be picking the brains of the A9 lads and lasses, are you running the rx8 that was at Alford?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:27 pm
Well I went to Forrestburn today and received a real warm welcome from the Mazda A9 boyos, they answered all my daft questions and really made me feel welcome, cant wait to have a go next year, what a great race series

Offline Profile