<  Technical  ~  Single seater seat fixing

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:28 am
How are people securing their seats in a single seater?
The blue book says securely fixed, but how is this defined in practise?

Does it need fixing brackets or is held in place ok?
Mine doesn’t have brackets and there is no practical means to do this due to the space in the cockpit.
It has a lip at the front, where the leg harness straps are fixed and this stops forward movement. The walls and back in the cockpit prevent side and backwards movement. The rear harness brackets overlap the seat and this prevents upwards movement.
When you are all strapped in then neither you or the seat is going anywhere.
So surely this is sufficient?

I would suspect so as it has been in events before and can’t see any evidence of it being any different over the years.

But it’s just how the terminology of the blue book is applied in practise?

With Golspie being only a few weeks away and this weekend is another one I can’t do anything on the car I’m starting to worry.

Graeme

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:58 pm
I'm now able to answer my own question :lol:

Decided to give msa technical a ring and they have said the vaugue ness in the blue book is deliberate as they understand the (im)practicalities associated with securing the seat in a single seater.

They said my set up is not uncommon and a lot of people are in the same position and the harness does act as part of the mechanism to secure you and the seat to the car.

They did say they were looking at it though, so I hope it is not going to change as it will be very difficult for a lot of us to retro fit something different and there is little to no space to get bolts in to a bracket on the underside.

I don't know if there are (m)any scrutineers on this forum but I hope the chaps and Golspie and Boyndie are of a similar opinion!

Graeme

Offline Profile